With the rise of online dating comes the inevitable problem of fake profiles. These are profiles created by people who are not actually interested in dating, but rather are looking to scam others out of their money or boost their own ego. Learn how to spot a fake profile and protect yourself from being scammed, fooled, or harassed.
The Problem with Fake Profiles Is Bigger Than You Think
The problem with fake profiles is more widespread than you think. There are estimates that as many as 10% of dating profiles on some sites are fake. That means that for every 10 people you see on a dating site, one of them is likely not even a real person.
So why do people create fake profiles?
There are a few reasons. Some people do it to scam others out of money. They create a profile, build up a relationship with someone, and then ask for money. Others do it to boost their own ego. They create a profile with photos that make them look much more attractive than they really are and then message people who they know they will never meet in real life.
Whatever the reason, fake profiles are a problem because they ruin the user experience for everyone else. That is just as bad for customers as it is for business.
There are a few things you can do to spot a fake profile, but the best thing you can do is to be aware of the problem and be cautious when you’re interacting with people online. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Trust your gut and be careful out there!
5 Ways to Detect Fake Profiles
How do you detect fake profiles? It’s actually not as difficult as you might think. There are a few key things to look for that can help you spot a fake profile pretty easily.
- The first thing to look for is a lack of personal information. If a profile doesn’t have much information about the person, it’s likely that it’s fake.
- Look for inconsistencies in the information that is provided. If a person’s age, location, or other details don’t seem to match up, it’s probably because they’re not being truthful.
- Ask to see their social media accounts. If they can’t provide you with their Instagram account in this day in age, well, we don’t know what to tell you.
- Have a look at the follower/following ratio. A fake profile has zero or below 10 followers. Come on, how many people do you know with less than 5 friends on Instagram or Facebook?
- Take a look at the photos that are posted on the profile. Fake profiles will often use stock photos or photos that are clearly not of the person who is claiming to be behind the profile. If something looks too good to be true, it probably is!
Also, if someone you match with quickly seems to get you all too quickly. You have the same interests, they mention music or tv-show you like, not saying that’s a red flag but if you look at the big picture it might be someone you know who is catfishing you.
How Do We Stop Harassment in Dating Apps
We’re all too familiar with the scenario: you’re minding your own business, chatting away on your favorite dating app, when suddenly the conversation takes a left turn and you’re bombarded with messages from someone you essentially don’t know. It’s annoying, it’s intrusive, and it can even be scary.
Well, this is where content moderators play an important role in keeping chat apps safe for everyone. We help to stop harassment and bullying by enforcing the policies set by the company behind the platform. Most dating apps have a chat functionality in place that you can use once you have matched with someone. That’s all great.
Say what you want, but be nice and obey the house rules.
Besedo offers chat moderation in real-time
When someone doesn’t obey the house rules, then technology like Besedo’s will make sure you don’t get a chance to even see the offensive messages sent to you. Real-time filtering for profanity or nudity will ensure that we can keep chats clean and civilized.
I Have Been Harassed In a Dating App
There are a few things you can do to protect yourself from harassment in chat apps.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the app installed. Many chat apps include features that allow you to block or report users who are being abusive.
- If you’re being harassed by someone, take advantage of these reporting tools to protect yourself. Always report the user and block them.
- Take screenshots to provide proof. It can also help protect others.
- Be careful about who you add to your chat app contacts list. If you don’t know someone well, or if they seem sketchy, it’s best not to add them. This will help to cut down on the chances of being harassed by someone you don’t know.
- Finally, remember that you can always just leave a chat app if it’s making you uncomfortable. There’s no shame in doing so, and it’s often the best way to protect yourself from abuse. If someone is making you feel unsafe or uncomfortable, just hit the exit button and move on.
At a time when people are looking for love and connection more than ever, it’s important to be aware of the risks of fake dating profiles. While most dating platforms do their best to keep users safe, there are always going to be some bad actors who slip through the cracks.
That’s why it’s important to be vigilant when you’re online dating. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Be wary of anyone who asks for money early on, or who wants to move too fast without getting to know you first.
Scammers Will Hurt Your Brand with Poor Reviews
Dating apps have been accused of promoting a hook-up culture and fostering an environment where users are more likely to endlessly swipe in the search for someone better. But there’s another side to dating apps that can be just as problematic: the proliferation of fake profiles.
Fake profiles are not only a problem for users, but they also pose a risk to the app itself. If users come across too many fake profiles, they may start to question the legitimacy of the app and its users. This can lead to them deleting the app and leaving negative reviews – both of which will damage the app’s reputation.
If you’re running a dating app, it’s important to make sure that you’re taking steps to prevent fake profiles from being created. This includes things like requiring verification for new users, using artificial intelligence to identify suspicious activity, and monitoring user reviews for feedback about fake profiles.
Hi, we’re Besedo, we should talk! Nudge, nudge 😉
By taking these measures, you can help protect your app from being tainted by scams and poor reviews.
Don’t Waste Your Time With Dishonest People
With the prevalence of dating apps and websites, it’s no surprise that there are fake profiles out there. The important thing to remember is to be vigilant and do your research before meeting anyone in person. If you suspect that someone you’re talking to is a fake, report them to the site or app so that they can be removed. And most importantly, don’t waste your time on someone who isn’t being honest with you.
There is plenty of fish in the sea, so keep swimming!
Photo by Victoria Heath on Unsplash ☝️
Oh, but there’s more…
How Bad UX Can Ruin Your Online Brand
With user-generated content platforms you’re essentially handing over a massive chunk of your user experience to your community.
The World’s Top Online Marketplaces 2022
Find out which online marketplaces are the biggest in various countries, categories, and more in our list of the biggest marketplaces online.