Not all scams are illegal, there are some pretty clever people who are using a legal scam to trick the system in ways that will harm your users and, in the long run, your reputation.
We have recently noticed how scammers are using classifieds sites to exploit mobile monetization apps.
This Is How It Works:
- A mobile advertising network, let’s call them Ad-App, runs a program to incentivize people to recruit other users. If you create an account with Ad-App, and then get other people to download the app via your account, you will earn money.
- The scammer creates an account with Ad-App, and posts a fake job-ad on a classifieds site, promising extensive compensation to attract as many applicants as possible.
- A job seeker that we call Lisa responds to the ad, and is asked to perform an “app-review” test as a part of the fake application process.
- The first step in performing this is to download Ad-App via a url that´s connected to the scammer’s accounts.
- Lisa installs the app to perform the test, but will not be able to perform the test, nor will she hear back regarding the job again.
- The scammer on the other hand gets his pay by Ad-App and can happily continue recruiting more innocent users via the fake job-ads.
In this scam, the user “Lisa” will not lose any money herself, however she will probably lose trust in your site after being disappointed by fake ads like this. And Imagine if she cries out a warning to her 15000 Twitter followers. Then your brand will really be at risk.
How can you protect yourself? Make sure your moderation team is up to date on the latest scam-trends, attentive and experienced. A scam like this might not be easy to identify but nevertheless important for your long-term brand reputation.
Building Trust and Safety: Why It Matters and How to Get It Right
Discover the importance of trust and safety for websites and apps, learn effective strategies, and explore case studies to ensure a secure user experience.
Sharing Economy vs. Online Marketplaces: Key Differences and Opportunities
Learn the differences between sharing economy companies and online marketplaces. Plus a look at successful sharing economy companies and content moderation.
Content Moderation Glossary
Get in the know with our ultimate glossary of content moderation. From UGC to AI-powered moderation, we’ve got you covered. Learn the lingo now!
Digital Services Act (DSA): What It Is and What It Means for Content Moderation
We explain what you need to know everything you need to know about this new law in an easy-to-understand way. Stay ahead of the game in 2023, from transparency and accountability to prohibiting dark patterns.
Doxxing: How to Protect Your Platform and Users
From high-profile doxxing incidents to the potential consequences for victims and businesses, our post covers everything you need to know about this serious threat to online privacy and security.
Creating Trust and Safety in UX Design: Balancing Convenience and Security
Learn how to enhance UX design with trust and safety. Discover tips and best practices for creating secure user experiences that build trust.
Announcing Our Reporting Feature: Download and Visualize Your Data
Announcing Besedo reporting! Download and import your data into your favorite business intelligence tool to create all sorts of graphs, charts, and data magic.
The Advantages of Outsourcing Content Moderation
Discover the advantages of outsourcing content moderation, including cost savings, improved efficiency, access to expertise, scalability, and an improved user experience.
What Is User-Generated Content (UGC)?
Learn everything there is about user-generated content (UGC) and how it’s used. We also take a look at great real-world examples of UGC, and how it affects businesses worldwide.
The Job Scams Epidemic
Learn more about how hackers use brands to harvest personal details. We share how you can fight back using content moderation on your job board.
This is Besedo
Global, full-service leader in content moderation
We provide automated and manual moderation for online marketplaces, online dating, sharing economy, gaming, communities and social media.