Not all scams are illegal, there are some pretty clever people who are using a legal scam to trick the system in ways that will harm your users and, in the long run, your reputation.
We have recently noticed how scammers are using classifieds sites to exploit mobile monetization apps.
This Is How It Works:
- A mobile advertising network, let’s call them Ad-App, runs a program to incentivize people to recruit other users. If you create an account with Ad-App, and then get other people to download the app via your account, you will earn money.
- The scammer creates an account with Ad-App, and posts a fake job-ad on a classifieds site, promising extensive compensation to attract as many applicants as possible.
- A job seeker that we call Lisa responds to the ad, and is asked to perform an “app-review” test as a part of the fake application process.
- The first step in performing this is to download Ad-App via a url that´s connected to the scammer’s accounts.
- Lisa installs the app to perform the test, but will not be able to perform the test, nor will she hear back regarding the job again.
- The scammer on the other hand gets his pay by Ad-App and can happily continue recruiting more innocent users via the fake job-ads.
In this scam, the user “Lisa” will not lose any money herself, however she will probably lose trust in your site after being disappointed by fake ads like this. And Imagine if she cries out a warning to her 15000 Twitter followers. Then your brand will really be at risk.
How can you protect yourself? Make sure your moderation team is up to date on the latest scam-trends, attentive and experienced. A scam like this might not be easy to identify but nevertheless important for your long-term brand reputation.
The latest around content moderation, straight in your inbox
Subscribe to get our newsletter to stay updated.
The Job Scams Epidemic
Learn more about how hackers use brands to harvest personal details. We share how you can fight back using content moderation on your job board.
10 Tips For Startups Dealing With User-Generated Content
Review code and design – not d**k pics. Focusing on your core product and your design is what makes startups fun.
Keeping Your Gaming Platform Safe And Enhancing Your User Experience
Prevent bullying, grooming, and harassment on the gaming platform you’re running. In-app messaging should be a safe place for all gamers – your users’ safety, and your reputation is on the line.
Welcome to the Age of Fake Dating Profiles
With the rise of online dating comes the problem of fake profiles. So why do people create fake dating profiles and what is done to stop it?
How Bad UX Can Ruin Your Online Brand
With user-generated content platforms you’re essentially handing over a massive chunk of your user experience to your community.
The World’s Top Online Marketplaces 2022
Find out which online marketplaces are the biggest in various countries, categories, and more in our list of the biggest marketplaces online.
How can dating apps be flirty but not dirty?
Evolution of language, part three
Making sure dating apps are about ’amore’ not fraud
Evolution of language, part two
This is Besedo
Global, full-service leader in content moderation
We provide automated and manual moderation for online marketplaces, online dating, sharing economy, gaming, communities and social media.